Always A Smile Dental Provides Oral Cancer Screenings
Early diagnosis and treatment are critical when combating disease, which is why Always A Smile Dental offers oral cancer screenings in Grand Rapids, MI. We want all our patients to achieve their best possible outcomes, so we assist with cancer detection in our state-of-the-art clinic. Our highly-trained and knowledgeable team is led by Dr. Ronald M. Olszewski, who has decades’ worth of dentistry experience. Armed with unrivaled expertise and advanced technology, we examine patients’ mouths for any signs of cancer or precancerous growths. By catching this disease early, we can provide our patients with much higher chances for a cure. If you notice any unusual or irregular symptoms and are concerned they may be serious, call us today to schedule your screening.
Overview of Oral Cancer Screening
Oral cancer screenings comprise visual and physical exams of a patient’s oral cavity and connected tissues. It is best to receive regular cancer screenings regardless of whether any oral cancer symptoms are present. The oral healthcare professionals at Always A Smile Dental may suggest screenings based on an individual’s lifestyle choices or for merely precautionary reasons. Oral cancer is linked to tobacco use, heavy alcohol use, significant sun exposure, and more. Our team will consider all factors when suggesting oral cancer screenings, which include:
- Visual Exam – During the visual exam portion of oral cancer screening, we will look for any asymmetries, bumps, dental abnormalities, patches of color, swellings, or ulcerations inside a patient’s nose and mouth. Our dentist may use tools including lights, mirrors, tongue depressors, and more to get a full view of the patient’s oral cavity.
- Physical Exam – We must also inspect a patient’s head, cheeks, jaw area, and spaces under the chin and in the oral cavity by feeling for peculiar masses or nodules, which may represent cancerous growths. Other oral cancer symptoms that a physical exam may reveal include immobile tissue and areas of discomfort.
Recognizing Potential Symptoms of Oral Cancer
The survival rate from oral cancer is high when the disease is detected early. In addition to oral cancer screenings, Always A Smile Dental monitors patients’ health during routine dental exams, but we rely on you to let us know if you notice anything unusual during the time between visits. Cancer can materialize anywhere in the oral cavity, including the lips, tongue, throat, salivary glands, pharynx, larynx, and sinuses. Therefore, you should visit Always A Smile Dental in Grand Rapids, MI if you notice:
- Sores or lumps in or around your mouth
- Red or white lesions in your mouth or lips
- Unusual swelling that makes wearing dentures uncomfortable
- Numbness, tenderness, or pain
- Earaches without any hearing loss
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, or speaking
- Persistent sore throat
Importance of Oral Cancer Screening
Oral cancer screenings are important because early detection of the disease directly correlates to the effectiveness of treatment and chances of survival. A dental professional can predict roughly five of every six oral cancer cases in their early stages, so let Always A Smile Dental assist you. We will use a variety of tools or dyes to thoroughly examine your oral cavity for even the slightest sign of oral cancer. We will evaluate you during routine dental exams but may also suggest more in-depth screening if you are more susceptible to the disease. Our screenings are designed to identify any early signs of oral cancer before they progress to an advanced stage. Not only will this increase your chances of recovery, but it will also make treatment easier, less painful, and less time-consuming.
Why You Should Visit Always A Smile Dental
Oral cancer is a serious disease, but it is treatable, especially if discovered early. Always A Smile Dental has years of experience proving oral cancer screenings to patients throughout Grand Rapids, MI and the surrounding area. Our friendly, compassionate staff will make sure you are comfortable and understand each step of the process. We will also help educate you about oral cancer symptoms that should raise a red flag if you experience them between visits. Whether you are concerned you may have oral cancer or simply want reassurance that your mouth is healthy, contact us today to schedule an oral cancer screening in Grand Rapids.
Why Choose Us
- Friendly, Knowledgeable Staff
- Accepts Most Insurance
- All Your Dental Needs In One Office
- Denture Lab On Site